Join Our Team–Curator
The Museum of the Southern Jewish Experience is hiring a Curator who will be responsible for the care and organization of its growing collection, the development of special exhibitions, and the maintenance of its core exhibitions. As part of a small, but dedicated staff, the person in this position will have the opportunity to help advance the Museum’s mission and make it a vital part of the community and the region.
- Manage the Museum’s 4,000-piece permanent collection, including the ongoing cataloguing and organization of the collection and database management.
- Oversee all aspects of the care of the permanent collections, including handling, use and access, security, conservation, and environmental monitoring.
- Identify possible acquisitions for the permanent collection and shepherd the acquisition process, from solicitation to accessioning.
- Work collaboratively with the executive director and staff to support the mission of MSJE and make accessible the permanent collection to the public.
- Develop a two- to three-year curatorial calendar for the Museum and direct the implementation of the calendar, from concept development and community focus groups to installation.
- Work with staff, as well as freelancers and consultants, to direct the design, fabrication, and installation of temporary exhibitions, traveling exhibitions, and digital exhibitions.
- Direct the maintenance and upkeep of the permanent and temporary exhibitions, including coordinating maintenance and repair as needed for both physical and digital exhibitions.
- Assist the Museum Executive Director in the development of fiscal year budgets for curatorial and collection initiatives and needs.
- Participate in conferences and workshops related to humanities and Southern Jewish scholarship.
- Develop relationships with cultural organizations and local community groups to engage diverse communities with the Museum’s resources in collaborative and meaningful ways.
- Contribute to ongoing efforts in Diversity, Equity, Accessibility and Inclusion throughout MSJE’s collections, exhibitions, and programming.
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred) in museum studies, history, or related field and at least three years’ experience working in a museum or cultural institution in a curatorial capacity.
- Strong knowledge of Jewish culture, Southern culture, and the available resources for exploring both.
- Demonstrated experience designing and curating public exhibitions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including working with a range of backgrounds to develop artifact donor relations and audiences.
- Strong research, writing, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with content management systems (CMS), especially Past Perfect, strongly preferred.
- Must be able to work some evenings and weekends.
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally in support of the Museum’s collecting efforts.
This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and benefits package.
Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF to email@example.com with the subject line Curator Search. The search process will continue until the position is filled.