Join Our Team
Director of Development
Organization: The Museum of the Southern Jewish Experience (MSJE) is the newest cultural museum in the Greater New Orleans area. MSJE explores Southern Jewish history and the many ways in which Jews in the American South have influenced the distinct cultural heritage. The Museum is scheduled to open at 818 Howard Avenue in 2021.
Position: MSJE is seeking an outstanding fundraiser to become our first Director of Development. This new position will have the opportunity to build and grow the development work of MSJE through initiating, nurturing, and growing relationships with current and potential funders of the Museum. He/she will provide philanthropic strategy, vision, and guidance, solicit new and ongoing sources of funds, and manage and support the fundraising efforts for MSJE’s inaugural capital campaign and ongoing initiatives and programs.
The Director of Development will report to the Executive Director. He/she will be a key part of the senior management team and will work closely with the Board of Directors and MSJE’s individual donor base.
Key Responsibilities: The Director of Development will be responsible for:
- Designing and executing a comprehensive development program (annual, major and planned gifts) to ensure the successful completion of the capital campaign to fund the construction and opening phase of the Museum and to provide ongoing support for MSJE’s programs and initiatives.
- Managing a portfolio of major-gift-level individual, corporate and foundation donors and prospects.
- Cultivating, soliciting, and closing major gifts from various sectors of donors and prospects (individuals, corporations, and foundations) through relationship building and effective donor and prospect management.
- Preparing and executing an annual fundraising plan and calendar to grow corporate and foundation grants, including preparing proposals and stewardship reports as necessary for grant funders.
- Developing and maintaining a donor stewardship and recognition program for major donors to the Museum.
- Supporting the Executive Director, the MSJE Board of Directors, and volunteers in securing and stewarding major gifts.
- Coordinating and participating in fundraising meetings and events in select cities across the South.
- Researching and identifying prospects for new potential sources of funding.
- Performing other duties as assigned to meet the needs of MSJE’s fundraising efforts.
Key Success Factors: A successful Director of Development will have:
- Demonstrated success in personally raising major gifts (6- figure level and above) from individuals, as well as experience in raising funds from corporate sponsors and local family foundations.
- Demonstrated experience in prospect identification, relationship building, prospect portfolio management, and solicitation of prospects for a nonprofit.
- Proven experience and success in developing and executing fundraising campaigns.
- Demonstrated capability in developing and communicating the case for giving to an organization.
- Basic understanding of donor and prospect record management systems, preferably Donor Perfect.
- Ability and willingness to travel to meet prospects and donors in cities outside of New Orleans.
- Proven experience in working with sensitive information and ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Understanding of and commitment to the mission of MSJE.
Education Bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience At least 3 years of direct experience in nonprofit fundraising, with a solid record of increased responsibilities and demonstrated success in developing relationships with donors and prospects. Successful candidates will possess excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work independently and take initiative. Experience in using and maintaining fundraising database management systems a plus, as well as intermediate to advanced-level knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
Competitive salary and benefits offered, based on experience. This is a full-time position, with flexible work schedule.
The Museum of the Southern Jewish Experience is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with subject line Director of Development Search.